My New Winter Attire!

As my little homestead grows and changes, so do my needs of clothing!  Each season will bring on new types of clothing you find useful on the Farm.  Different tasks on YOUR family's farm will require different type of clothing and other gear!  For example, if you're gardening in the spring, mowing in the summertime, cleaning out the chicken pen in the fall, or daily choring in the deep of winter, you will certainly appreciate the proper attire for each task!

So, because it is currently winter in Kansas, and I am just SO VERY EXCITED to tell you about my new winter attire, I want to share a bit of this glee with all of you!  But first, a little history for you to understand my excitement!  In years past, I would double and triple layer pants, shirts, and coats.  This will work if you're just "checking" on your animals, or if you only have a few to tend to!  Even with 3 layers of sweatpants, it gets cold fairly quickly, and you soon become defenseless against water spills and fencing tears.  This year, with my first kidding season, I took the plunge!  After much research and contemplating, I got myself a new set of insulated overalls and insulated coat from Carhartt!  We do a lot of our purchasing at farm stores, and online.  Amazon has made life much easier for those of us that live several hours from items we need or use!  Prices are great, and with prime, we can get most items quicker than planning a trip to "the city!"
I have also recently invested in new waterproof gloves from Carhartt, a "Swag GS" stocking cap with ponytail access, I am not familiar with this brand but have been very happy with it!  Oh, and I got "Buff" neck gear from Duluth Trading Co.  I never thought that I'd be the wool sock kind of gal, but since trying the Deluth ones, you can't hardly get these things off me!  
My husband and son absolutely love the feel of their clothing, and when a store opened within a few hours of us, my husband was excited to take a road trip and check them out. We even took my parents there so they could see what all the hype was about!  Hubby has ordered online many times, but sometimes its nice to just go to a store!  The last time we were in the store, I convinced the hubby to get me some new lotions to try!  I mean, I have goats, so that was a must!  I've only tried it a few times, but so far I am liking it, and the smell is nice too!  And who doesn't suffer from cracked hands, heels, and elbows in the winter.  And it says "crack"... tee tee hee.  Crack cream... just makes me giggle!  So I got it in lavender AND Lemon!  It was on sale!  Oh I did the "monkey butt" powder too!  Haven't used it yet, so no picture or review at this time....maybe in a summer blog!  (Check out pictures on the right sidebar, with links.)  Life is too short not to laugh at the little things, so go for it, get some crack cream, monkey butt and chicken poop!    Have fun and laugh at yourself, I do!  (Chicken Poop is a chapstick, I haven't ventured out to try it, but a fellow blogger and friend suggests it!)


Oh, You should have seen how dumbfounded I was to find my first pair of waterproof gloves a few years back!  My first attempt to defrost and chisel out a frozen horse tank was quite an experience!  Its amazing how many pairs of wet gloves have remained stuck to fenceposts because they froze hard in the few seconds I chose to grab it to balance myself or pull myself up after falling on ice!  And as much as I love those silly ducks, they still like to try and take baths in the winter, leaving the perfect skating rink for me to dance around on while trying to feed and take care of them!  Yes, I layer the gloves too!  Life is a learning curve, and you'll soon find out that mine gets pretty curvy sometimes, lol!  
There are are many options and brands available for us to choose from, and it's smart to do a little research!  Talk with an experienced homesteader, and find out what they like and don't like, and why!  Once you think you know what you want, just go for it!   Be willing to try new things out for yourself!  I have a few brands that I tend to gravitate to, but have recently found a new company that offers me quality and durability, so keep your eyes open for new advances in the farm life clothing! 

Speaking of keeping your eyes open, how is it that when you need something like your favorite mittens, it's somehow gone missing....oh yes, I have Kids!  No more than I find a cool new piece of headgear or perfectly fitting gloves, they somehow become the property of one of my children!  I do appreciate the help on the chore duty, so off to the store I go to buy myself ANOTHER set!  I just MIGHT happen to find a few extras things when I'm there too!  The Farm store is one of my favorite places to shop, always something new to see or friends to make!  

Everyone has their own opinion of why they choose to have insulated vs not when it comes to your outerwear, but I personally am LOVING having the insulated pants and coat, the gloves are pretty snazzy too!  (Sorry I don't have a picture, ironically, my newest gloves from the farm store are now missing.  Go figure!) But I recently found a headlamp that just might become mine, so I guess we're even now! (Similar one pictured on the right sidebar, with link.)

My non-insulated gear works great for spring or fall when we're out working on equipment or maybe on a day/evening that is cooler temps than what I'm used to, but when it comes to Winter I would highly suggest getting all insulated gear!  If you're out in the barn for very long you will appreciate that warmth!  In this picture I am wearing my "Key" overalls.  My grandpaG wore this brand, and it's like getting a little hug of his memory every time I wear them!  They're great for crawling around under things and not having your belly peek through!  They clean up nicely too!It's great to have pants with a place to carry items for breaking ice or deep pockets to hold treats!  Having proper gear makes a world of difference  when you're out doing chores!  Many of the "winter" options out there have a water resistant type of material on the exterior.  This will keep you safe, and warm!  Don't underestimate how quickly you can become frostbitten!  

Good quality outdoor gear can become expensive, but you have to look at is as an investment.  You need to be able to find something that fits you comfortably and will provide what you need to do your job!  Think about how many pockets you might need, if you plan to carry extra items, do you need a place for a notebook and pen?  It's smart to plan ahead and get what you want, and not regret your purchase.  Spend a little more to get quality and functionality out of your winter wear, it will last you many years if you do!
Im a bigger gal, so finding pants that are long enough is a big deal to me!  And my new overalls fit me "just right!"  Long enough to cover my boots, and not tripping on the pant legs either!  Love when things fit as described!  Yippee!
Besides, if you stay good warm during chore time, you can go out later with the kids and play in the snow!  I mean, are you ever really too old to go sledding?  Especially if you do it in an ATV!  My grandpaG always said that when you work, work hard!  And when you play, you play even harder!  So go out, enjoy your winter, bundle up properly, and have fun no matter what you do!  Have a good one folks, and stay warm!  I'm off to go play in my new winter attire!



Since first publishing this Blog, I have added more information, pictures, and affiliates.  I had inquiries about my favorite brands and decided to share them with you all.  Please make your own decisions after hearing my opinions.  If you do choose to click the link and use Amazon or other affiliates, I will receive a small monetary compensation.  This will help out with the "lost gloves fund" --joking, lol!  Thanks again for all your support and I hope that you enjoy my blog!





Come Join me on Social Media: