Not Your Ordinary Cinnamon Roll


Nothing says comfort better than baking.  And I am a big carb fan so cinnamon rolls, danishes, and baked treats are friends of mine.  And even if you don't eat many bread products, just the smell of them baking in your oven is enough to put a smile on your face!


Remember that pumpkin pie butter that we made earlier this fall?  Did  you eat it all yet?  Well, we almost did, but I had just enough left to make one more recipe to share with you!  It's so simple and can be transformed into so many different types of rolls, so if you're not a pumpkin fan, stay with me....you can trade it out for apple or pear butter, how about strawberry preserves or honey and peanut butter?  Add a few chocolate chips in there and I know you're paying attention!

To get started dig out your favorite cinnamon roll recipe and make the dough.  There are so many versions out there, and let me tell you .... they're all good, you just need a base to get yourself started! Once you've let it rise and proof, come back and we'll take it to a whole new level!


Roll out the dough as you normally would.  No need to slather with butter....you're going to use your Pumpkin Pie Butter for this!  I used 3/4 of a quart jar, but to be truthful a pint would have done the job!  Just spread it close to the edges.



But of course we just can't stop here!  I love pecans with pumpkin, don't you?  Sprinkle chopped pecans all over your pumpkin masterpiece!  Hmm... well, I think it still looks a bit undone.  So I also love cream cheese with my pumpkin, so I chopped up a block of cream cheese and sprinkled all over too!  Now I stopped there, but if you like chocolate...go for it.  Maybe you want to add a bit of brown sugar or maple syrup?  Hey...it's your masterpiece, create it how you want!



And if you like cream cheese, but not big chunks, just make the dip we spoke about and blend your cream cheese with your pumpkin pie butter and spread that as your first layer!  It's just as delicious, and texturally much smoother!



Once you're satisfied with the filling, start rolling .....and rolling ...and then tuck the end under to help keep it all together.  I guilt-fully stuffed my dough to the brim, so they are messy and sloppy!  Slice and place on your baking sheet to bake.  Or, cut your log to fit a bread pan and make bread out of it....I mean...why not?



















Bake according to your dough recipe and enjoy the aroma that is now engulfing your kitchen, and likely traveling throughout your home.  You may even have neighbors knocking on your door at the point!  I'm just warning you now, so that you can set out the guard dogs!



Here is the hard part.  The buzzer to the oven is going off and you have to let the rolls or bread cool!  I mean....it might actually be worth burning your tongue, but trust me .... you'll be happier if you take this time to make yourself some icing!  I just made a simple white icing with my homemade vanilla, farm fresh milk, and powdered sugar.  It was thin enough to drizzle and ooze all around the bumps and crevices! But again...this is your creation, so if you want to do a thick maple frosting...go for it!


Ok friends, the moment is here...now you can taste your delicious....delectable...mouth watering...absolutely amazing...home made "not your ordinary" cinnamon roll!  Oh .... wow... so soft, and still just a little bit warm.  It's the perfect treat to a long awaited journey with your senses.  Your taste buds thank you!

Let me know what you think about your creation.  How did you maybe make yours different than mine?  Did you give a few away, or hide them all for yourself?






Come Join me on Social Media: